Handmade Arran cardigan made in Donegal by artisans.
Each cardigan is knitted by hand taking hundreds of hours to complete. The 100% merino wool yarn is spun in Donegal Ireland ready for our ladies to knit these elaborate pieces.
Because the designs are so intricate and take so much craftsmanship to make, these sweaters are highly prized. Different types of stitches in Aran sweaters do have specific meanings. The basket stitch is a symbol of the fisherman’s basket. The cable stitch pattern is a tribute to fisherman’s ropes. The diamond pattern is a wish to the wearer for health and success. The honeycomb symbolises the hard-working bee.
Sadly young people are not continuing the tradition of knitting these elaborate sweaters although we are hoping to change this...
We fear that in a few more years the hand knit Aran sweater will no longer be available and are creating these as heirlooms for the future generations.
The Aran islands are in the Counties Donegal and Mayo in Ireland, the Aran sweater may also be called the Donegal sweater. The Aran sweater is also commonly called the fisherman’s sweater.
Handmade with 100% Donegal Merino Wool by women in Co.Donegal.
Designed to be shorter at the front to be more flattering to the body.
Note: As each piece is made especially for you there may be variations.
We recommend airing your garment regularly rather than over cleaning it as this can damage the quality of the wool and cause breakage to its fibers overtime. However, if you do need to wash your garment then we recommend the following guidelines:
- Never put in a washing machine or tumble dryer.
- For best results we recommend a 5-10 minute soak in Woolie Cold Water Wash.
- Gently squeeze suds through. Do not rub, twist or wring.
- Squeeze gently and roll in a towel to remove excess water.
- Pull out carefully into natural sweater shape.
- Dry flat to avoid stretching and avoid direct heat or sunlight.
How To Store
- To ensure your sweater retains its shape, we recommend that you store folded rather than hang, as this may cause your garment to stretch over a long period of item.
- We also recommend using an a moth deterrent such as a mothball or lavender as a natural remedy.
Size: One Size